Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Season of Giving with Pj Schott


Wow!  I can’t believe that this is the last post for 2012 written by the über lovely Pj Schott.  My how time flies, doesn’t it?  I am thankful for her friendship, the opportunities she has given me professionally, and to have her on my side, in a dark alley, when I need backup.  Pj has lived in several U.S. port cities, Europe, Greece, and the Middle East.  A marketing professional, mystery writer, and futurist, Pj is known to those with whom she works as a problem-solver, an innovative thinker, a top-notch communicator, a visionary, and the soul of a group. She is the owner of the Boston, Massachusetts based company GENIUS and is the woman behind the new Facebook page and blog, Survival for Blondes, where Pj is entirely surrounded by imagined disasters and learns to rise above.

The Spirit of Giving

The time I spend with you, is my favorite time of the month. It's an opportunity to think about what's really important. And to ask myself if there is anything in my life I would like to change. And I take any unanswered questions to that great sage, Winne-the-Pooh. Today I asked him for a special gift, and he gave me the following words.




Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why we call it the present.
                                                   ― Winnie the Pooh

At this time of year, our thoughts turn to giving. All world cultures, and most religions, include the meaningful practice of gift-giving. Our Jewish friends hand out Chanukah gelt, Yiddish for money. In the Muslim world, the end of the holy month focuses on the giving of charity. In Kwanzaa, gifts are less important than spiritual and social rejuvenation.

Most of my friends and family celebrate St. Nicolas Day, Christmas and New Years. Christmas – first celebrated in the Victorian 1860s – is the most well-known holiday in the world. It incorporates the giving of gifts to children of St. Nicolas Day (December 6th), the pagan traditions – evergreens, candles, sweet treats, yule logs and mistletoe – of the Winter Solstice (December 21st), and the birthday of Jesus (December 25th).

It's Christmas! The spirit of giving abounds. Most of us give gifts to loved ones, but do we give anything else, especially when nothing is expected of us?
Why do we give? Some folks give to feel important or to get their name on a plaque. Others give out of obligation, and do so grudgingly. The lucky ones give simply for the joy of giving, and incredible joy is their reward.
Christmas is the perfect time to become a 'giver.' And it can cost little or nothing. A smile can turn someone's day around. A warm hug can help heal someone's pain. A small bag of food for your local soup kitchen can bring comfort to many.
So go get out there and GIVE, GIVE GIVE. The effect on those around you can seem immense, and giving has the power to change your life forever.

You lucky ducks!  Pj has so kindly offered to give Princess with a Pen readers an opportunity to WIN this fabulous Pooh prize!  To be eligible, leave a comment here telling us about the best gift you’ve ever received.

Click HERE to check it out on Amazon

  Here is the description from Amazon:
Ring in the season with this special 10th anniversary edition of WINNIE THE POOH: SEASONS OF GIVING -- the cherished, full-length adventure that celebrates friendship, family and the true meaning of the holidays. Join Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and Rabbit on a brave quest to find a favorite season they somehow seem to have missed -- Winter! Next, accompany them on a wild search for the perfect ingredients to create a festive Thanksgiving feast, and share in the warm glow of a Christmas that brings a surprise visit from a very special friend. Featuring beloved characters, five irrestible songs, and two new-to-DVD Pooh adventures, this fun, heartwarming Disney classic will keep the magic of the holiday season alive and sparkling the whole year long!

Bonus Features Include Pooh Adventures - First Time On DVD, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh The Magic Earmuffs, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh The Wishing Bear, Decorate Your Own Christmas Tree, and Coloring Fun With Piglet.

CONTEST RULES:
  • Contest closes at noon, on December 12, 2012, EST.
  • You must leave contact information with your post to be included.  Posts without contact information will not be counted.
  • Good luck!  You're all winners in my book.

I want to take this opportunity to wish each and every one a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanzaa.  May you be truly blessed with a peace that surpasses all understanding as you enjoy family, friends, and the beauty of the season.

XOXO
Jen

29 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post, Pj and Jen! You;re so right, and I believe that giving always brings positive things back around to you, too. It's the law of the universe! Everything in life has a knock-on effect. It's so apt that at this time of year we should think about a different kind giving, rather than just gifts! :)

    You know I love this quote: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." I used it in my novel The Baby Trap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote too, Sibel! Thanks for stopping by, you fabulous thing, you XOXO

      Delete
    2. Happy Holidays, Sibel. Life is so much simpler when you understand those laws (or "the lieu," as the Pink Panther used to say ... LOL!!). Great minds and all that. I forgot that line was in The Baby Trap. Good reason to read it again!! That Pooh is such a wise bear.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Pj, absolutely love it. Love the quote! And am looking forward to celebrating St Nik's with the kids here tomorrow (never mind we're in the UK, with a German mum, St Nik's brings the tradition all the way to Lincolnshire!).

    Best present I ever received? Well, I'm not much of a present person. Weird, huh? I find it difficult to receive gifts and would rather just stick with being a giver. Best Christmas I had recently though was a couple of years back when it snowed for Christmas (yes, on the actual day~a rarity here!!), the kids opened their presents wide-eyed and joyfully (without fighting), the whole family was there and the day was just all round perfect. That was the best present anyone could give me.
    Happy crimbo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicky... Knowing you are not a present person puts a damper on our sisterhood. Just kidding! I love seeing the faces of those I love light up when they rip through the wrapping paper, more than when I am the one receiving too. XOXO

      Delete
    2. It really is more fun to give than receive, Nicky. Snow is a great gift. It does have a mesmerizing effect on the kids. The fur-kids too. Nothing cuter than watching the babies when they see snow for the first time. Happy Crimbo to you too!!

      Delete
  3. Excellent post and reminds us that not everyone is fortunate enough to be surrounded by family and tucking into turkey on the 25th. To be honest, books are the best present anyone can ever buy me. But the one that I cherish most is the stretchy soft toy elephant bookmark my boyfriend bought me just after we started going out 11 years ago. It is the best travelled elephant in the world and has visited around 20 US states, as well as a further 30 countries! I don't have kids - yet - but the most magical moments for me, are watching my small nephews open their presents and seeing the anticipation on their wee faces, when they see all the presents under the tree and realise Santa has been! soozbuch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thank you for stopping by! I could not agree with you more about books being an amazing gift. We have a little tradition at Christmas that each of our children receive at least one book for Christmas. Since my kids never stop by my blog, I can tell you that this year Gracie is receiving OLIVIA THE PRINCESS, Ryan is opening the new DIARY OF A WIMPY KID book, and we chose for Wil a compilation of THE 100 BEST CARTOON EPISODES. HUGS! Good luck, sister! XOXO

      Delete
    2. We love the books too, Susan. I always asked for books when I was a kid. We create our own little world when we read one. Didn't have an elephant, but my Pooh bear went around the world. I still remember him getting poked and prodded going through customs. Have a wonderful holiday!!

      Delete
  4. Aw! What a fabulous post. I'm so glad I popped over here to read it. I don't think I've ever heard that Pooh quote before, and it's one I'll remember from now on. Lovely, lovely post that brought a big, goofy smile to my face. :-) Happy holidays, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you liked it Libby. That was a new quote to me as well. Pooh never ceases to surprise and amaze me. Have a beautiful holiday.

      Delete
  5. Hi Libby! Thank you so much for stopping by. Isn't Pooh quite the wordsmith? And Pj always has such wonderful bits of knowledge to share. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to both of you! The best thing I ever got for Christmas? When I was 15, I got a tv for my room and I was OVER THE MOON. I'll never forget the excitement. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely Laura! I'm so glad you stopped by :) I remember my first TV. It had denim fabric around the outside. It was superb! XOXO

      Delete
    2. Had to laugh, Laura. When I was 15, there wasn't much on TV. The library was more fun. Now ... WOW!! But probably a lot of stuff my parents would want me to see. I suppose the technology exists to block it. Have a wonderful holiday!!

      Delete
  7. Hmm... the best gift I ever received. That's a tough one. I'm going to go with the Nintendo 64 me and my sisters got when I was younger. We DIED when we opened up the magical game box... little did we know my dad really bought it for him!!

    What a fab post and fabulous giveaway! I have a few kiddos in mind for this awesome prize. My contact info (so I can be counted): jenniferdaiker(at)gmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JJ! I remember playing Mario Brothers on the 64. Can't you hear that fab soundtrack playing through your melon? Dee-dee-dee-da-dee-dee! Thanks for stopping by XOXO

      Delete
    2. That was funny, Jen. I remember a number of gifts my father bought for himself. Have a great holiday. Hope you get everything you heart desires ... and more.

      Delete
  8. I love Pooh! ...and you. He knows just the right thing to say. So I will ruin this beautiful heartwarming post by saying that the Marc Jacobs bag my husband bought for me eight years ago was my favorite gift ;)

    What?? It was. Love you blondie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... That guy is a keeper! Thanks for stopping by, my little Boiler Babe! XOXO

      Delete
    2. Pooh and Jen are pretty darn amazing, Dina. And they never disappoint. Happy Holidays to you and yours from all of us ... and Pooh!!

      Delete
  9. Lovely post!
    Hmm, best gift ever received...when I was 8 and got the Barbie dream house. I was so smitten with that house and the fancy parties that my dolls threw all the time.

    My contact info missmichb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miche, you are so lucky! I had the Barbie Townhouse and always WANTED the Dream House. Thanks for stopping by XOXO

      Delete
    2. Hope you still have a dream house, Michelle. And may all your dreams come true. Happy Holidays!!

      Delete
  10. Who doesn't love Winnie the Pooh? :)
    The best gift I received was the kindle I got 2 years ago. So many books in one little device-heaven!

    Bjoneill@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget! Thanks for stopping by :) I love my Kindle too! My parents gave me one for Christmas last year. As much as I adore books and smelling the print on the pages, I have such a fondness for my Kindle, that allows me to read in the middle of insomniac nights. XOXO

      Delete
    2. The Kindle is one of the best gifts of all time, Bridget. So awesome to be able to drag one's library around with one. Have a great Holiday Season!!

      Delete
  11. Okay my lovelies, we have a WINNER!!! *Or WEINER, as Gracie once coined the phrase. Congratulations to JEN DAIKER!!! According to the math logic of the random number generator, you are receiving a Winnie the Pooh extravaganza of prizes! Thank you so much to all who participated, and especially to Pj for offering up such a wonderful gift. Happy Holidays to you all! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this?? Love the idea and adore giving! Am a huge fan of Pj's.

    Love to all,

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete